The Chinese government departments, funding agencies, some learned societies, universities and
research institutions have made many efforts to promote academic integrity. Besides working out
regulations and guidelines, establishing agencies and committees, developing courses and reading
materials, many other major activities were organized since 2006. Relevant event(s) each year
are selected and listed here.
1. Shanghai Jiaotong University announced that, CHEN Jin, a leading Chinese scientist has been
dismissed from his academic positions for fabricating the development of what was highly touted as
China's first homegrown computer chip, after a investigation jointly organized by the Ministry of Science
and Technology, Ministry of Education, and Shanghai Municipal Government.
2. 109 Chinese professors wrote and made public an open letter on academic corruption, addressed to
Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council, Ministry of Education, Chinese Academy of Social
Sciences, and leaders of universities and local academies of social sciences, asking for serious handling
of academic misconduct and corruption.
1. Chinese Academy of Engineering published a statement, criticizing an academician's involvement
in a plagiarism case, and asking all academicians to learn from the lesson.
2. China Association for Science and Technology (CAST) and American Association for the Advancement
of Science (AAAS) jointly organized a forum on the social responsibility of scientists in Beijing.
3. The Academic Division of the Chinese Academy of Sciences organized a symposium on academic
morality, research ethics, and the development of a harmonious academic ecology.
1. Office of Research Integrity, Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) organized a national
symposium on research integrity, two experts from the U.S. , Dr. Nicholas H. Steneck and Dr. Christine C. Boesz were invited to give speeches.
2. A symposium on research integrity in journal publication was held jointly by relevant departments of
MOST, Ministry of Education (MOE), and CAST.
3. The first training course on a software for screening documents for plagiarism, AMLC was held by
its developer, CNKI in Beijing.
1. A high-profile plagiarism case involving teachers in Zhejing University, and a Academician of Chinese
Academy of Engineering (CAE) was investigated, with investigation findings announced by the university,
CAE and the funding agency, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) respectively.
2. CAS and Office of Research Integrity, MOST published guidelines on research integrity respectively.
3. CAST began to hold an International Forum on Scientific Ethics at its Annual Meeting.
1. The State Councilor, Liu Yandong hosted a meeting on research integrity and ethos of study, and
delivered a speech. The attendees included senior officials from relevant government departments,
academies, universities and research institutions.
2. MOE and Office of Research Integrity, MOST held symposiums, focusing respectively, focusing on
policy and practical issues.
3. CAST and AAAS established the Joint Steering Committee on Scientific Ethics, a platform for cooperation
in research and practices on research integrity.
1. CAST and MOE initiated a national education campaign on scientific ethics and ethos of study for
newly enrolled postgraduate students, which was joined by CAS, CAE, CASS and NSFC later, and with target
audience extend to graduating undergraduate students and young teachers and researchers.
2. The Academic Division of CAS began to hold annual symposium on ethics of science and technology,
with different themes each year.
1. More than 1000 journals of learned societies under CAST signed a joint statement on strengthening
norms of scientific ethics and fostering a good academic environment.
2. CAST and AAAS jointly held a symposium on education of responsible conduct of research, focusing
on instruction by case studies.
1. NSFC held a media briefing, releasing some statistics on investigation of research misconduct, and made public some typical misconduct cases. Such briefings were also held in 2014 and 2015.
2. CAST, MOE etc. held a symposium in Jiangnan University, attended by educators from major
universities, exploring the effective way of education on scientific ethics and ethos of study.
3. A candidate of the prominent Thousand Talent Plan was disqualified due to research misconduct while he was working abroad.
1. National Health and Family Planning Commission (NHFPC) and the State Administration of Traditional
Chinese Medicine (SATCM) jointly issued Codes of Medical Research Integrity and Related Conduct,
the first of such guidelines developed by ministerial level agencies.
2. 5756 academic journals were certified by the State Administration of press, Publication, Radio,
Film and Television, and non-academic journals would not be allowed to publish research papers and levy
1. Some funding agencies, universities, hospitals and CAST made relevant investigation on retractions
of numerous papers authored by Chinese scholar, due to alleged fraudulent peer review processes.
2. "Five Prohibitions in Publishing Academic Papers" were issued jointly by seven departments,
academies, following the issuance of a similar code of conduct developed by CAST, including no ghostwriting,
no submission of a paper by a third party, no substantial modification of a paper by a third party, no
provision of false information about potential reviewers, and no violation of authorship norms.